The right power-train
We are well aware the fact that for adult pedelecs the central motor is meanwhile the prefered choice. Nevertheless we are convinced that in a kid's E-bike application the rear hub motor is the far better alternative for several reasons.
- With a weight of less than 2,100 g this drive is lighter than any central motor on the market today. Besides that, our motor replaces the free-wheeling rear hub (which typically weighs 400 grams) so that the overall extra weight is approx. 1,700 g only!
- Due to its small diameter of 100 mm, our drive is hardly visible between the cassette and the brake rotor. In addition it is a robust and maintenance-free design, which does not increase wear of neither the chain, the chain rings nor the rear cassette.
In contrast to many applications in adult bikes, our drive does not suffer from any thermal problems!
- It delivers more than sufficient torque to assist our kids even when climbing the steepest hills.
- Central motors are said to offer a better front/rear balance. That would be correct if no heavy parts like the battery or the suspension front fork would spoil that calculation. Actually our lightweight rear hub motor leads to a perfectly balanced, never top-heavy handling.
- no influence on gear change - central motors on the opposite have a severe negative impact on shifting under load conditions
The "control desk"
The well-arranged display with its three push buttons controls the assistance level in five steps. It allows parents as well to adjust the maximum assist speed. A unique novel is the option to adapt the overall motor power to the weight of the driver. It definitely makes a world of difference if your child only weighs 25 kg or our bikes will be charged with the maximum allowed weight of 40/45 kg.
- Maximum assist speed adjustable between 10 and 25 km/h
(for technical reasons the standard 175 Wh battery does not allow higher assist speeds than 20 km/h)
- power assisted push function 6 km/h
- Controller offers 6 Volts output for supply of optional head and tail lights
The power source
How much battery capacity is needed for a kid's E-bike? We know that our competitors offer bulky and heavy 400 Wh versions, but this just proofs that they simply take off-the-shelf components that are typically used in adult pedelecs. Do you really think an E-bike for children requires batteries that have been designed for ranges of 80 - 150 kmin combination with a system weight of roughly 100 kg (adult driver + bicycle weight)?
That does not make sense at all !
From our experience our 175Wh battery delivers more than enough power and capacity for extensive day trips. And it weighs solely 970 g and not 2.5 -3.0 kg like the batteries of the competition!
For those who still have doubts regarding trip range we can offer two interesting options:
- A larger variant with 250 Wh capacity (extra weight 360 g)
- The "Twin Power Option" - the ben-e-bike will be shipped with a second 175 Wh battery, means overall capacity will then be 350 Wh. Additional benefit: the second battery can be carried in the parent's backpack. Or you can charge one battery while the other is in use.
Technical data of our rechargeable batteries:
- Capacity 175 Wh (optionally 250 Wh), made from latest-generation Panasonic NCR18650GA cells
- Typical range of 40 - 60 km resp.. 800 - 1.200 m altitude difference (driver's weight of 35 kg; for details see link above)
- Smart Balancing BMS with several protection circuits against short circuit / overcurrent, reverse polarity, overvoltage, total discharge and over-temperature
- 4-LED battery capacity indicator; accurate indication in 0.1V steps via LC display on handlebar
- Integrated interface allows to read out every single charge/discharge cycle in service cases
- Extremely robust aluminium housing
- This battery has passed all tests according to UN38.3 (required for transportation in aircrafts)
- Very low weight of 970 g (1,330 g for the 250 Wh version)
- Charge time approx. 3 hours, the battery needn't to be removed from the bike for charging
- Compact charger included in delivery, dimensions 170 x 70 x 40 mm, weight incl. AC cable 485 g